At Lambton Public School we aim to identify student’s talents and to maximise their learning outcomes and skills in these areas of strength. Learning extension and enrichment programs are offered in a range Key Learning Areas.
Identification of Gifted and Talented Education
Teachers consider the characteristics of students in their class each year to aid in the identification of students who may be gifted and talented. Formal assessments are also used in this identification process and parents are invited to complete a parent survey if they feel that their child has exceptional ability. Students identified are given the opportunity to participate in a variety of enrichment activities throughout each year.
Specialist programs are also run in various key learning areas:
A specialist art teacher works with all students as well as provides extension programs for Stage 2 and 3 students who exhibit artistic ability or talent to foster and develop their skills.
A specialist teacher provides music classes across the school.
Lambton Public School has both a junior (Early Stage 1 & Stage 1) and senior (Stage 2 & Stage 3) Choir. These choirs develop student’s vocal skills and perform regularly in the local area and at school events.
A concert band has been a recent addition to the programs and activities that are available to students who exhibit musical ability and enthusiasm.
Extension and mediation programs are provided in Mathematics
Throughout the year students have the opportunity to enter many external competitions.
- University of NSW Maths Competition (http://www.eaa.unsw.edu.au/icas/australia#com)
- University of NSW English Competition
- University of NSW Writing Competition
- University of NSW Spelling Competition
- University of NSW Science Competition
- University of NSW Computer Competition
- The Newcastle Permanent Maths Competition
- Maths Olympiads
- Our specialist art teacher also enters students work in many art competitions with great success e.g. Doodle for Google, Geology Rocks....
Premiers Reading Challenge
Students at Lambton are strongly encouraged to participate in the Premiere’s Reading Challenge each year. In 2009, 95 students completed the challenge and 10 received a gold award for 4 years completion of the challenge.
© Copyright 2009 - 2013 Lambton Public School